About Historic Vernon
Historic Vernon African Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1905 and the basement of the current edifice was built in 1919. During the worst race massacre in American history, the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921, the superstructure, parsonage, and sanctuary still under-construction were destroyed but the basement remained as a symbol of God's persevering power. The congregation completed the current sanctuary in 1925. In fact, Vernon AME Church is the only intact, standing black-owned structure that remains from the Historic Black Wall Street era.
Vernon AME remains an integral part of the community today. Nicknamed "The Grandmother of Greenwood", Vernon is a symbol of strength, a place of refuge, an advocate for social justice, a meeting place for community discussions, and a ministry to those in need.
God Provides Feeding Ministry - Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, the God Provides Feeding Ministry, led by head chef Fred Freeman and supported by a host of faithful volunteers, has served over 600,000 home-cooked meals to the unhoused and others in the community. This ministry serves warm meals everyday to any who come to the doors of the church. All are welcome - come for lunch or come volunteer.